Make the future you envision more possible with this simple exercise.
This exercise works for anything you want: a career goal, a relationship, a lifestyle, a hobby…use it and make it your own.
Do it once or twice a week for three months and watch what happens in your life!
1. Get a notepad. Make two columns on your paper.
2. On the left, write down your vision. Make it big enough that you feel a little uncomfortable putting it on paper. Mine was, “I make great money working 15 hours a week.”
4. When that negative thought comes (because it will) write it down on the right.
5. Repeat. Write your vision statement on the left. Write the negative thought on the right.
6. Eventually the negative thoughts will have you feeling miserable and hopeless. But just when you think you can’t take it anymore, the truth that you know about your self and your potential will start to speak to you.
7. Write down the positive truths that begin to flood in.
8. When the thoughts stop…and you’ve been reassured by yourself…and you’re feeling great…GO BACK TO STEP 1.
9. Write your vision statement again, but in second person. Mine was, “You make great money working 15 hours a week.”
10. Repeat the entire cycle. GO BACK TO STEP 1.
11. Write your vision statement in third person. Mine was, “Melissa makes great money working 15 hours a week.”
At the end of it all, you’ll see some common themes.
These are the issues you'll need to look for when something isn't going the way you want. They will pop up here and there, and you'll need to do ongoing work to replace them.
Writing is great for that!
Believe me, your fears and insecurities will hold you back whether or not you are conscious of them.
What are some of the fears or insecurities that you battle in working towards your goals and dreams?
Comment your fears here for some feedback and tips!